Saturday, April 23, 2016

Teww Talez - Hope Your Happy MIXTAPE REVIEW


Hey everyone.  J-Pegs here, back on the blog scene.  I was going to do a top 20 list of my favorite Prince songs (R.I.P.). I'll get to that, but first, here we are with with a new review of a new mixtape by an underground rapper who is probably one of my favorite people to work, the homie Teww Talez.

Teww Talez is an artist who vocally and stylistically is comparable to Big Sean with his own twist.  He is probably best recognizable for his witty, often outright funny, lines and versatility in his music.  He and I haven't done any new music in a while, but some of the songs we have done include "T.O.P. (Too on Point)," "Pogo," "Space Age Limpin'," and my personal favorite, "Got Steez."  And while none of those are on here, this is his new mixtape, Hope Your Happy (spelled that way on purpose.)

Let's not waste any more time and dive right into the music.

1. Hope You're Happy
I love the vibe of this song and how it sets the tone for the rest of the project.  The sing-songy rap style works here.  Very well put together.

2. Pounds Freestyle
More smooth vibes.  Uplifting music you can ride to.

3. 106 & Park
Phone call at the beginning reminds me of some of Drake's songs but it works.  Definitely one of the realer songs on this project, and encapsulates the whole theme of the project.  Best line: "I'm having the time of my life, even if I don't make it." I feel that.

4. Mann
The bars are back!! This is the first straight up bravado type rap song on the project, and Talez goes in.

5. Ride
I love these types of beats.  Smooth, rider music (hence the title I guess.)  Not the best hook though. I wish he would have just left that sample be the hook.

6. I Stay
Another singing/rapping track.  Seems to be a style he's going for throughout the tape.  This one's pretty good.  I'd listen to this.

7. Long Way
This one finds Talez reminiscing about his upbringing.  Nice stuff.

8. Mood
I feel this one a lot. Very emotional and touches on a lot of topics.  It's a two-parter too.  I think it coulda worked better as 2 separate songs but it's still one of my favorites on here.  I do like Part 1 better than 2 but that's just me.

9. Hella Busy (Uber Everywhere Remix) ft. Stvy Max & Yung Best
This song seems kind of out of place.  If this wasn't on the project it could arguably be considered an album.  For what it is, it's not bad, but I will say that Talez had the only notable part in my opinion.

10. Sick
Not the best song on here.  Autotune doesn't really work here, unlike on others. A couple good lines but overall it gets a skip from me.

11. Old Times ft. Tru-Dough & Rome
Hook from Rome is FIRE.  Potential radio hit right here.  Also Tru-Dough, another rapper friend of mine, is on this song, though if he wasn't credited I wouldn't have known.  I had to rewind it back like three times to see if I missed something.  His verse just didn't stick out.

12. Feel Like I'm Biggie ft. Devin Blaze
This is the banger "Sick" tried to be.  Teww's flow is spot on here, and Blaze has the best guest verse on the project.

13. Feelings Change
The piano riff sounds familiar.  Not one of my favorites but I like how he rapped over just a piano on this one.  Nice switchup from the last song, like a comedown from a wild party.

14. Woah
My favorite just-bars rap song on here.  That or Maan.  Talez is on his cocky shit here, and I'm not mad at him.

15. I Can't Believe This Almost Didn't Make the Tape
Me either, to be honest. Probably one of my favorites on this project, both because of the feel and how he spits some of the realest and dopest raps I've heard from him.  Though I will say again, he does sound kind of like Big Sean vocally, despite how he says on this song that he doesn't hear it, haha.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
Talez is really growing as an artist.  When I first met him he was already a great rapper but his songwriting skills have exponentially grown since then.  A lot of the songs are smooth and relatable, and the overall theme is dope.  Only big criticism is the featured artists seem out of place or just don't bring it like Talez does.  (No shade, just being honest.)  If Talez keeps this style up, he can move on from the comparisons that he obviously wants to separate himself from and stand out on his own.  Teww Talez is one of the few rappers on my friends list that I actually listen to, and this tape shows why.  I look forward to seeing what he does next, and to working with him on more music in the future.

Overall score: 9/10

Best songs: I Can't Believe This Almost Didn't Make the Tape, 106 & Park, Mood

Worst songs: Sick, Ride

If you want to listen to the mixtape, check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment